Kirche Kirche

church Heiterwang

The history of the parish church
A chapel may have stood on the site of the present church as early as the 14th century. A Liebfrauenkirche is mentioned for the first time in the document on the establishment of the parish of Bichlbach in 1423. The construction of this Liebfrauenkirche was probably carried out in the late 15th century (148o/9o), probably by Hans Räffl from the Lechtal. Although the church was badly damaged by the Schmalkaldic troops in 1551, the choir room and the tower from that time were preserved. Towards the end of the 16th century, the nave of the church, which was significantly smaller than the present one, was rebuilt. The current shape of the church goes back to an extension and baroqueization under Father Josef Anton Pfaundler around the middle of the 18th century. In place of the old high altar came the present high altar made of stucco marble (1754). In 1891 a total renovation of the church took place under Father Stecher. Further renovations were carried out in 1900/01 (pastor König), 1931 - 1934, 1967/68 and 1977 - 1979. The tower clock, dating from 1703, was renewed in 1913 for the amount of 1400 crowns.

Contact

Pfarrkirche Heiterwang
U. Lb. Frau Maria Himmelfahrt
Oberdorf 14
6611 Heiterwang am See
Visiting the Tiroler Zugspitz Arena

PLAN YOUR HOLiDAYS

EN